File Access Denied - You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this file

After performing some testing on one of my virtual machines, I somehow lost the ability to drag and drop files from my host machine to the vm, even though I was logged on as the Administrator.

Further investigation revealed that I could not drag and drop files from the root of my local drive to my desktop without the following User Account Control prompt appearing:

File Access Denied
You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this file
screenshot showing file access denied error

A similar prompt also appeared for folders:

Destination Folder Access Denied
You'll need to provide administrator permission to move to this folder
screenshot showing folder access denied error

Permissions?
At first, I thought it might be a permissions issue but this checked out ok.

Policy Setting
I then checked the policy settings and noticed the following policy was enabled:

User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account

This is located in Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
screenshot showing the policy security setting user account control admin approval mode for the built in administrator account

Resolution

After disabling this policy, I was able to drag and drop files freely between my host and vm.


Related Posts

rundll32.exe Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file

- Windows Server 2016 start menu search not working

Comments

  1. It didn't work for me, do you know another way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't unfortunately. Please reply with your solution if you resolve it another way.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LG TV This app will now restart to free up more memory

LG TV Clear All Browsing History Data

LG TV turn off Quick Start in settings